[HoE] Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na- JunkMAN!

Hoi-HOI!
Well, this is the first access to one of these new-fangled computilators
I've had access to in a while, and especially since I just got the new
sourcebook "The Junkman Cometh" (it seems us here in melbourne have it
better than some of you stateside). So I thought I'd give it my 2 widgets
worth:
Okay. All in all, I liked it. However, the class has significantly changed
from what Junkers were presented as in the basic book. Not just in terms of
rules, also in background. I'm still of mixed feelings about this. The
inclusion of Tech-Spirits (the spirits of dead technology), while very cute,
is not quite the same as having to smack a manitou upside the head to beat
information about tech out of it. But, that being said, it makes more sense
this way. I'm also still in two minds about the whole "Techno-shaman" deal.
The background section was excellent. With "Children o' the atom", it wasn't
very exciting. This gives you a contigious history to link it back to Wierd
West game. Already I'm having wonderfyul thoughts about what's going to
happen when my mad scientist player discovers that little nasty demons are
given him ideas, and he joins the SOS (despite the fact that he's working
for the Agency...).
Much needed work was done on the powers. As soon as the game came out I knew
Junkers were the most in need of a serious overhaul. The system is more
complex now, but that's okay, because let's face it, all this inventing
stuff gets done in downtime anyway. It's not like halfway through a combat
session you're gonna have to figure out how COMMO power needs to be worked
anyway.
That being said, some of the powers are quite ambigious. I was trying to
make a targeting system last night, and came up against the following
problems:
In SENSOR, what would be the range of a passive infrared detecting power?
One that works just by picking up infrared beams and amplifying them?
In COMMO, is the modifier for the transmitter applied by directly
multiplying it against the slots? Or do you do this and then add it to the
original score? If it's done the first way, then you have the situation that
some limited transmitting devices are actually easier to make than reciever
only devices. For example, with my HUD Display device I was working on,
under the first system it would take up 4 slots and use three drain without
a transmitter, but with a direct cable link only take 1 slot and use 1
drain. See what I mean?
Anyway, these things will be made apparent in the future. I hope a
clarification section will appear soon in thge HoE library, as there are
several quite confusing things in there.
But I liked it all up. Good work, JH
Reuben "Chamber Initiate" McCallum (Don't think I missed that little
reference!)