[HoE] Hucksters in HoE

My take on the huckster situation is mixed.  On one hand, I see the reasons
behind the penalties.  Furthermore, there is a good chance that some of
those penalties will be removed in the conversion to revised edition.
However, as it stands, the AB: Huckster does not seem worth the points.

My suggestion to balance it out is twofold.  First, with the conversion to
Revised Edition, only Black Jokers should cause backlash.  Second, include
the Old Hand edge for free - all hucksters in HoE should be quite practiced
in their art, in order to survive.  That means Backlash will be less common,
but more severe when it happens.

Remember, the +4 to Backlash makes the 20 result on the table occur 1 in 5
times.  That's -very- severe!  Heaven help anyone using a relic that
increases Backlash rolls even further...

As a final note on HoE Hucksters, for those who want a viable Weird West
Huckster in HoE, I would point to the Child of the Reckoning knack listed on
my website (www.anet-dfw.com/~mcgirt/kestrel/games/deadland.htm), in the New
Edges and Hinderances section (the same edge could be used for someone born
on the day the bombs dropped, BTW).  I actually plan a time-travel scenario
where Caleb (my campaign's 13-year old huckster) will meet his future self,
so even though I don't normally run HoE, it's important to me.

Someone said a little while back that it shouldn't matter what the official
policy is on the matter, since you can use your own rules.  That may be
true, but the gaming community is much better served when the rules
currently in use are the way the majority of people play.  This helps when
conventions are run, and when people move to a new gaming group.  We want a
core set of rules that don't require everyone to use a house rule (to
replace a rule few people like).  Right now, the response on the list seems
about 50/50 about the rule...but this doesn't count the lurkers that are
letting others argue the issue.

To close, I'll open up another potentially sticky subject - who plans to use
the new rules for double-action guns that will be in the Deadlands revised
edition?  If you keep the two games consistant (Weird and Wasted West), then
almost every gun in HoE fires 2 shots per action.

-Casey