Re: [HoE] [HOPLER] Junkman Cometh/Huckster ?

Well, first of all, if folks are reading this and are already bored with
what I've posted (extensively :) ) on the topic, please skip.  However, I
hope to take a little different approach here, so hopefully there'll be
something of interest here.

>     Now, my original theory for Hucksters was that their skill represented
>how efficient they were in using Hunting Grounds energy.  However, my
>research indicates that indeed Deadlands claims otherwise, instead the
>skill
>represents how big the Manitou is.  Which doesn't make much sense to my way
>of thinking, unless Huckstering involves summoning Manitous.  Instead of
>relying on the Manitous that may be hanging around, the huckster forms a
>connection to the nearest Manitou with the sufficient amount of energy, and
>skill simply represents how much Manitou energy one can channel safely.

Actually, and after careful study of H&H (particularly pages 30-31),
"casting a Hex" seems to represent _three_ things:

1) The Huckster opening a connection to the Hunting Grounds

2) The Huckster seeking out a Manitou of sufficient power (i.e., if you're
casting Gamblers' Luck, you don't want low power Manitous)

3) The actual game of skill/chance that lets the Manitou drain off some or
all of the Manitou's power

>     Anyway, bigger manitous (which can be connected to with more
>successes)
>represents bigger hands, equaling greater chance of success, and greater
>chance of backlash.  So, if all manitous are bigger in HoE, then hucksters
>would all be working with bigger hands when they cast a hex.
>     However, I would have to believe that the poker hand instead
>represents
>how efficient the huckster himself is in channeling the energy of the
>Manitou.  A Plus four cards Manitou is still a four cards plus Manitou
>whether the huckster gets an Ace or a straight flush.  So, again the
>increase
>in minimum hand would still not make any sense, because that involves the
>huckster's skill and not the Manitou at all.

Honestly, Adam's conclusion is the one that I keep coming back to as well,
and that I tried to (however inadequately) argue for.

I don't have a problem with the existing handicaps per se.  My problem is
that this whole "manitous are more powerful reasoning" should lead to
Hucksters ending up with more power.

To make a (relatively poor) analogy, if there's more fires burning in your
house, it's easier to light a piece of paper, and light it faster and light
more of it in one shot.  Granted, there's a better chance you're going to
get burned (i.e., +4 backlash, Red Jokers cause backlash), and you're
actually not going to want to be burning very small pieces of paper (higher
minimums).

To clarify though, I'm primarily talking about Veterans of the Weird West
Hucksters, though.  200-year old experienced folks.  Personally, I tend to
think that "modern-day" Hucksters (i.e., non-Veterans) always have been
unviable.  I didn't allow them before the TJC rules:  I suppose I would
allow them since those rules came out, but (not surprisingly) the folks I've
talked to have no interest in doing so.

So this whole boosted power isn't a matter of a paradigm shift.  Hucksters
have _always_ tried to deal with higher-power manitous.

Are manitous craftier and more cunning?  Well, maybe.  On the other hand, a
200-year old Huckster who is still around, a Veteran of the Weird West, has
(conservatively) dealt with 73 _thousand_ manitous.  I'm being charitable
here, and assuming one Hex cast a day (Gambler's Luck, if nothing else).
Doesn't that count for anything as far as making our hypothetical Veteran
equally crafty and cunning?

>    So, to recap, I have no problem with increased backlashes, the
>Reckoners
>walk the earth after all, but instead of an increased minimum hand the
>Hucksters should simply get more cards, which would both increase the
>chance
>of backlash and allow for greater success at hexes, simply because that is
>what is consistent and makes sense in the shared Deadlands/HoE setting.

Like Adam, I have no real problem with any of the existing handicaps, even
the minimum hand size.  I really don't see, though, how a Veteran Huckster,
operating under the old paradigm, wouldn't know how to deal with
just-as-powerful (albeit there are more of them) Manitous.

The higher number of more powerful Manitous should in some way make it
easier for him to cast the Hex.  Part of hex-casting is finding a more
powerful (or the most powerful that you can) Manitou.  If there's more of
them around, and they're on average more powerful, shouldn't this in some
way make the Huckster's job easier?  Although with a greater risk as well
when he succeeds (i.e., Red Joker backlash and +4 backlash rolls)?

There are several routes I'd consider here.  Drawing more cards, as Adam
suggests, is one.  Another would be to give Hucksters a +5 or an automatic
Raise (whichever you consider more elegant).  That essentially works out to
drawing one extra card.  Another option would be to simply boost the final
rank of a successful Hex by one.  (Successful by Mr. Wallace's definition -
a Hex that generates a effect.  An Ace-minimum Hex that doesn't initially
generate an effect due to the increased minimum would not get this bonus.)

Does this make sense to anyone?  If part of hex-casting has always been
finding the most powerful manitous you can, and there are lots more powerful
Manitous out there post-2081 to find, how can hex-casting not benefit in
some manner?

---

Steve Crow

"Worm Can Opener Extraordinare"