[HoE] [HOPLER] Veteran Hucksters vs. HoE Hucksters

Yes, this is a new line of thought too.  Again, if bored, feel free to
delete without reading.

Concerning The Junkman Cometh and the "new" Huckster rules, hopefully John
can answer these questions:

Was this "new" Arcane Background (and its advantages and disadvantages)
intended to cover Veteran of the Weird West Hucksters?  And can non-Junkers
take the Huckster background?

Question #1:

The reason I ask is that AB: Huckster in TJC is worded in such a way that it
is something that _scientists_ have, and that Junkers learn/teach.  It says
that the character must be old enough to have been a scientist (33 years or
more), which implies that...well, they must have _been_ a scientist.

Well, the Veteran Huckster I have in our group, while certainly old enough
to have been a scientist (with 160 or so years to spare :) ), most
definitely isn't a scientist.  Nor is she a Junker, or has any plans to be.

So...the Vet Huckster isn't _entitled_ to be a Huckster according to the TJC
rules.

But the oft-debated disads seem to be part and parcel of the Junker-Huckster
Arcane Background package.  Granted, the new manitou-heavy disads may have
just been lumped in there, but still...

So...are Vet Hucksters constrained by these manitou-heavy limitations?  Or
do they just function as their Deadlands counterparts, because they've had
200 years to adapt to the gradually increasing power level of Manitous in
the Hunting Grounds?

Question #2:

As I noted, it seems like the AB: Huckster (and the advantages and disads
therein) in TJC deals with Hucksters _only_ as an offbranch of
scientist/Junkers.  Can you have someone who was a Scientist but _not_ a
Junker who can become a Huckster?

---

Steve Crow

"Worm Can Opener Extraordinare"