Re: [HoE] Templars and Anti-Templars

>Ok, here is what my suggestion would be to the following question:
>
> > A newly-created Templar, as part of a starting group of players, enters
> > town of 500 relatively "good" Chosen preparing for a siege of Black
>Hats.
> > The Marshall's adventure _is_ the group defending the town.  The Templar
> > (rightly or wrongly - it is subjective) decides the town isn't worthy of
> > protection.  He lacks the mystical-yet-vague ability to force all the
> > "unworthy" 250 folks or so to fight anyway.  The rest of the party, out
>of
> > altruism, payment, whatever, do help the townsfolk.
>
>  If this is a starting group, I would suggest to all members of the posse,
>to take the companion edge. This allows the Templar to be the judge, and
>the
>party is in alignment with him.

Well, first of all that doesn't fit my (IMO, much more likely to occur)
example, because I noted that the rest of the party _is_ willing to help the
"unworthy" village in that example.  If they're all in agreement with the
Templar standards that they're willing to be Companions, it's a moot point.

Unless the other Players _want_ a basically Templar-oriented group, I guess
I don't see this is an option.  This seems to convey the impression that
other players have to bend over backwards for one particular character, the
Templar.  Was this really what Pinnacle intended when they introduced the
Templar concept?

>  As for a new Templar being introduced into an established posse, he could
>come in disguised, and judge the posse.

And if they aren't worthy?  Or if they're "worthy," but they're still going
to help out "unworthy" folks?

>I know that isn't the whole answer, but it's at least an attempt without
>nitpicking and going off on tangents.

Unfortunately it comes back to the point I raised last week.  The Templar
works best as a solo concept.  By herself, or in an environment where
everybody thinks the same as him, it ain't a problem.  Unfortunately, in a
non-Templar oriented campaign, such as the one in the example I provided
(and the one I and, I suspect, many others run), it doesn't seem to work.

>'So I ain't perfect, at least I try. '

---

Steve Crow

"Worm Can Opener Extraordinare"