Re: [HoE] Boise Rads

> > But that didn't answer my question.  What _is_ the TN for rad-checks for
> > folks living inside a maelstrom in Boise?  no check required?  5?  I
>guess I
> > don't know which would best suit the story that Pinnacle is trying to
>tell.
>
>Run it no check required. John and I are hashing out the details on it for
>The Boise Horror as
>I type. (Actually, I wrote my solution a couple of days ago, but I want to
>make sure John signs
>off on it before I go blabbing. <g>.) In storyline, it's unlikely even the
>_major_ players are
>sure about why there's no residual rads in Boise, so, for now, I'd say it's
>safe to just not
>require the checks at all and worry about the explanation later. :-)

Well, just to be clear, it wasn't my intent either to require/demand an
explanation, or to put down Shane's "cool idea" to have a community inside a
maelstrom.  Just some acknowledgement within the Templar SB (or Sybaris vis
a vis Children of the Atom) that Boise _did_ represent an oddity of some
sort.

For all you could tell from reading those SBs, communities in or near blast
zones without rad checks seems to be more the norm than anything.  ;)

>For there to be a permanent community inside it, it's really not feasible
>for the people
>(especially long-time residents like Simon and company) to be making rad
>checks even once a
>day.

Well, maybe.  A community that requires rad checks to survive could also
play into Simon's whole "survival of the worthy" kinda thing.  After all,
this is the guy who has one not-so-central HQ where any community who
doesn't happen to have a disguised wandering Templar paying them a visit
could have to send someone _thousands_ of miles (and go through a maelstrom
twice, albeit a rather weak one) to ask for help.

Again, since the bit about rad checks or lack thereof in Boise wasn't made
clear (or even mentioned) in the story, it was a bit hard to tell exactly
what the "story" Pinnacle intended here was.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the topic I asked Mr. Hopler about:  do
you think 1 rad check an hour is too much?  Is there a way to simplify the
whole thing?

I kinda get the impression from your comments above that you do.  It
certainly can bring a gaming session to a thudding halt as every hour each
member of your group has to make their Vigor checks.  Plus, most of mine
have enough modifiers and what-not that the only reason they're rolling is
to see if they Bust.

Pinnacle tends to overlook this problem simply by making most communities in
or near blast zones not have to worry about it (Sybaris, Boise, Rock
Springs).  So one gets the impression they'd rather avoid the whole
rad-check thing as well.  Which again, is something I would agree with them
on.  I just wanted to see if that was the direction of the "story" they were
trying to tell.

>However, since there is no radiation threat inside Boise, that also likely
>means a Doomsayer
>gets no special Strain recovery bonus there. I'd say they get Strain back
>at the normal,
>non-ground zero, rate.

That was the initial reason it came up, since our group's Doomsayer was
considering becoming a Companion and was planning a trip there.

>My thoughts for now,

My thanks for your input.

>John Goff

---