[HoE] M3, some thoughts

For player types: There is finally a book on monsters out their your PC can
access, unlike the one in RVC.  Its much shorter, tho.
But do read about the Charnel Hounds.  Trust me.
Also, as promised, rules for animal sidekicks...and they are more complete
then before.
One last thing for all eyes...I hope you like The Weird West's watermark
backgrounds...they are now part of HoE too.
and now, for the Marshals...

Spoilers

OK, that should be fine.

Overall, this book was not bad.  Look for a LOT of info on Critter
sidekicks.  This is not a re-hash of RVC, but rather a notable expansion
that is useful to WW as well as HOE players.  I liked it, even if I would
not be inclined to use it much.  My one gripe:  No mutations!
I liked the Posse guide, and I liked the fact that, unlike RVC, it is
actually possible for non-Pinkertons to get ahold of it.  any player can
have that useful packet.

and speaking of that, the Vampire on Charnel Hounds is absolutely
priceless.  "my Nos named Igor..." I was in stitches.

My biggest complaint about the monsters was singular:
Unkillable monsters.  The Sob sister is Unkillable, the Fate eaters are
Unkillable...its disgusting.  To me, this betrays some trust the Posse has
in the Marshal.  The Fate Eaters seem ripe for abuse.  If I use either of
these concepts they will require heavy heavy modification.

Speaking of Modification, I liked the Ningyo, but I took issue with their
flesh turning one into a Ningyo.  I would tend to follow the Mermaid's
Forest mythology a little closer, and have you turn into
something...else.  I like the degree of chance involved, but think it
should be an easier draw then 2 Jokers in 7 cards.  It has to happen
rarely, but often enough to tempt those in the know into hunting.  I liked,
however, part of the addition of Mermaid lore into the mythology.

I question the inclusion of Mojave Rattlers and Dust devils in the
book.  Both are in The Wasted West, and most Marshals will pick that up
before M3.  I am all for a little redundancy to better make the recourses
useful, but they were fine in TWW.

I also noted a lack of Coups in among all the horror.  IIRC, there are two
monsters with Coups, and one is the Night Haunt from WW.  The other, well...

The other has to be my favorite Monster from the book.  The Night Stalker
is something I reacted to with a mix of pure horror and childlike
glee.  That...thing...I cannot say enough good about.  I cannot wait to
spring them on Posses in WW and HOE.

speaking of Monsters I liked, the Charnel Hounds are right up there.  They
were an excellent addition to the setting. definitely evolution at it's best.

Third place would go to the Mind Biters.  Good for cocky Sykers.

Honorable Mention goes to the Glamor Puss, the Spider Head, and the Sand
Spiders because they made me giggle.

Overall, not a bad book.  In places, it creeped me out.  In places, it just
made me cock my head and wonder what he was thinking.  I am sure I missed
some jokes.  Still, overall, I approve.

Jason,

The Baron Samedi