Re: [HoE] FW: Question about Gauss Technology

The Gauss Technology Question:

>Does Guass technology exists in Hell on Earth?

Well, I've seen Junker-tech Gauss weapons, and some rules in the various
expansions, like Wasted West and Cyborgs.  So we know rail guns exist.
Besides, if they can have a particle accelorator, a rail gun is a piece of
cake.  The only REAL problem with fielding a Gauss weapon is their
relatively slow rate of fire.  They make excellent sniping weapons, but
lousy general issue hardware.

Now, for the hard part, the actual science.

Gauss weapon technology is a process by which a solid metal slug gets
accelerated to super-sonic speeds by a series of magnets or a magnetic coil
extending down the barrel of the weapon.  To function properly, Gauss
weapons require 1) a longer barrel than a normal weapon of comparable power
and 2) an effective power source to power the magnets/coil.  In larger Gauss
weapons, there may also be a need for a system to realign the magnets after
every shot/number of shots.

Now, that Mr. Science has inserted his useless bit of trivia, thank you Mr.
Science, we can get on to the rules jockeying.

>Here is what I am thinking:  PPK Gauss Pistol
>Ammo:  2mm EC (in Deadlands terms, it is considered AP level 2)
>Shots: 12
>Speed: 1
>ROF: 1
>Range: 50
>Damage: 4D10
>Cost: $3,000

A Walther PPK-style Gauss pistol is a technolgical impossiblity, the barrel
length and power source required would make the weapon more to the size and
build of a Skorpion Machine Pistol or MP5-K, and that's for a practical one
with no external power source.  Apart from the size of the weapon, these
stats are pretty good, with the exception that it would probably only fire
once per action, not twice, so the magnets/coil could recharge.  And the
damamge would be higher (I've adjusted both) as a supersonic slug would
cause immense hydrstatic shock.  In the plus column, however, ammo would be
disgustingly cheap, as any small aerodynamic hunk of iron would do, as a
Gauss weapon doesn't uses real cased ammo, but a simple slug of ferrous
material.  If the magnets/coil breaks, however, God help you.

As for the rifle idea:

>PCKK Gauss Rifle
>Ammo:  2mm EC
>Shots: 30
>Speed: 1
>ROF: 1
>Range: 50
>Damage: 5D12
>Cost: $7,000

This is also a good platform with one exception, it fires too fast.  The ROF
should also be somewhere around 1-2 as the magnets take time to regain power
and realign.  Also, the size would be about that of a small SAW, or a
heavier assault rifle, to make room for the ammunition and power supply.
Ever see "Eraser?"  Bad movie,yes, but the weapons at the end were fairly
accurate for a Gauss rifle.

BTW, I hate to be this anal-retentive, but weapon schematics, both in game
and in real life, are a hobby of mine.

Man, that was a mouthful.

Paul "You'll put your eye out" Zichichi