Book Costs (Was Re: [HoE] Lost Colony CCG "Who Cares!")

A little scale on printing costs:

Assuming a softcover book, perfect-bound, with a 4-color cover (CMYK, means
that components of Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and BlacK are mixed to produce all
the colors in the image), interior art, about 200+ pages, costs about, after
you pay artists, writers, etc, $7 per book.  This assumes a print run of
2000 or more, and that you haven't handed the book out to be totally
freelanced.  Hard covers will cost more, as will color insert pages.  Unless
you sell direct, you go to a distributor who buys the books from you.  You
would sell the book for 60-70% of cover, so that puts you at $12-$14 you get
back.

So it's less money than you think.  CCGs are cheaper to print and develop,
and even with the licensing on the CCG patent (held by WOTC), you still can
make more money if you get a hit, becuase it's a renewable resource.  People
will always buy more boosters for as long as they are involved, in order to
get the cards they want.

Shane or other industry people, I'm not working in hardcover yet, and don't
know your distributor terms, so Your Mileage May Vary.  But feel free to
chime in.

Caias Brian Ward
www.talespinnerstudios.com