Re: Med Kits (was [HOE] NO WAY! A Gimme Shelter Update!?!)

Theo McGuckin wrote:

> Basically something a little more than (add +2 to all medicine rolls). In
> keeping with the rules (well really deadlands rules) I was thinking about
> giving the medkit a reliability roll. Every time it's used to help a
> medicine roll roll a d20, the TN is 20 or less, but you add the wound
> level being treated to the roll (So if you are treating a heavy wound then
> you would add two to your d20 roll to get a number between 3-22). If you
> roll over twenty then the medkit is out of supplies after treating this
> wound and can't be used again until more are found or bought.
> Also, I'm inclined to think that a medicine roll should have a penalty if
> you are not using a medkit or at least some clean instruments.

Did you look at our article Theo?  In the rules Matt and I came up with,
the kits (as do the rest of the remaining sizes of tool "sets" all the
way up to plants) DO have reliability rolls based upon a base stability
(medkits, for example, are 13).  The medkits themselves don't give any
bonuses other than allowing you to make the medical rolls without
additional penalties for not having equipment.  The only way to get
bonuses to the roll from the kit is to sacrifice points of stability on
a one for one basis (to a maximum of minus 3 stability and + 3 to the
roll).  The idea of using "charges" from the kits is already there.  As
far as increasing the loss of a kits "charges" based upon the severity
of the wound, I feel that the increased difficulty to the medical roll
itself is enough of a modifier.  After all, when confronted with a
sucking chest wound and all you've got is a backpacker's first aid kit,
what can you do?  Sacrifice a whole bunch of gauze and some aspirin
(sounds about like 3 stability points to me - that'll lower your kit
down to 10) to get the maximum bonus possible to the abysmally high
healing roll and pray.  That's my take on it anyway.

Here's the link to the rules:

http://www.geocities.com/grifflik/Shelter-Gear-Toolkits.html

Matt Steflik
Gimme Shelter - http://www.geocities.com/grifflik