Re: [HOE] Running the perfect HOE-Campaign

How do you justify the newbie thing with Initiates and Squires?  Both of
those types need to be tied to a "full-grown" Arcane character to
function.  Neither goes out adventuring on thier own.
In the group that I used to play in, they implemented an interesting, if
more math-intensive, character-creation system.  Rather than the normal
way to purchase Aptitudes and Edges, you multiply that number by 3 and
use 'em like Bounty Points.  Hence, to get level 1 in a skill is 1 point,
level 2 is 3 points, etc.  The ratings of Edges and Hindrances is
multipled by 3, as well.
Overall, this led to more powerful mundane characters, who aren't
necessarily buying 5 levels of any skill.  Also, the characters were more
realistic, since everyone can afford to get 1 or 2 levels in things like
Throwin', Drivin', Survival, Swimmin', etc.  These are usually only
skills that people buy if they're getting them at level 5 under the old
rules.  Sykers, Doomies and the like often buy their "main" skills
(Faith, Occult Engineering, Blastin') at level 4 instead of 5, just so
they can have a wider range of skills.

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001 15:51:09 -0400 (EDT) Theo McGuckin <tsm@jlab.org>
writes:

> In the end we decided to reset the campaign and put limits on
> character creation: no Veteran of the Wasted/Weird West, and any
arcane's had
> to be the newbie version (basically most all the arcanes in HoE get a
> newbie version of their AB in the source books, usually this makes the
AB
> cost 1 or 0 points but you can only start with a 1 in the associated
skill
> (faith, blastin', etc.) and only one power).

From Whom It May Concern,
Rich A. Ranallo

". . ."   -Ryu Hayabusa
Please send replies to this message to