Re: [HOE] The Unity (spoilers)

Spoiler

In a message dated 4/4/2002 7:10:58 PM Eastern Standard Time, matt@severian.chi.il.us writes:

But back to the Unity.  Has anyone here actually *run* it yet?  It
all looks so forced and linear!  Yeah, sure, as a climax to the
story it's real rock 'em-sock 'em stuff.  But as a module it's so
strictly forced.  If you've read it, you know what I mean: "The
posse shouldn't fight that, so force them away from it."  "Only
one choice will work to get out of this situation."  "If they
don't go for such-and-so-vehicle, bring up another hundred mooks
from stage left."  Add the simplicity of quick combat and the
posse are practically spectators.

(I haven't read to the end ... I'm willing to assume that it gets
better.  But up to receiving The Box they don't have darned much
liberty.)

If by better you mean "less linear," then no, it doesn't. This is a very linear adventure as it has a very specific story to tell. Most written adventures are by their very nature--it's hard to write Chapter Two if you don't know what happens at the end of Chapter One. This is a complaint as old as RPGs. Either you publish a scenario--"There's a wizard in a dark tower 10 days from here. What do you do?"' or you funnel them through a course. Some courses may be narrower than others, but they're still linear.

All that said, I make no excuses for The Unity. I think it does exactly what it should. I could either just tell you the story of what happens, or I could find a way to involve your heroes in the culmination of the campaign world they've been playing in for weeks/months/years. And without sounding too immodest, I think the Unity does a Hell of a job at the latter.

Love ya' all,

Shane