Re: [HOE] Yet another Unity review... (Shane)

>> Still, your mileage may vary. I didn't think "Crouching Tiger, Hidden
>Tiger"
>> was all that and a case of Bubbly Fizz. ;)
>
>I've just lost all respect for this man.

Tell me about it!!  I have no love for Fu fighting films, & even ::I:: liked
it!

Seriously though, I guess I should chime in here again.  First off, I'm not
going off on Shane with a "Man this sucks! I hate you!!" type deal; I just
wanted to say, "Hey, I didn't like it." Shane strikes me as the type who
wants ALL input from folks, both positive & negative.

Second, for all of those who said, "Hey, you can't expect a bought adventure
to fit EVERY posse out there..."  Heh-heh... I don't have a HoE posse.  Yep,
I just buy the books for me.  Of course, I've been looking for a group to do
HoE...  So when I say the things I do, it's me that says, "I don't see
anyone buying that" instead of "I don't see my posse buying that."

Third, surprised I didn't get more flack on the Raven/Cole thing.  FYI, the
Evanor can make an evil, supernatural beastie vulnerable to any attack when
a Legend chip is spent.  If I read correctly, the owner tosses in the
Legend, takes ten seconds to do a "eulogy" for the intended target, then if
the target receives one wound ANYWHERE from any weapon in the next hour or
so, he's toast.  Of course, during those ten seconds, the beastie is going
to pull out all the stops to kill the Evanor owner before he finishes, but
hey, what'd you expect for a free shot at killing something tough?  The
description is vague on what it works on, but since it says "supernatural
evil" I'd say Raven qualifies.  And Stone. And the nutcase on the bike....
and.....

Finally, I did post about what I thought of the second half.  I think it
made up for the first half.  Probably if I ever have a chance to run it, I'd
make the first part more indepth than as it is written.  I know there are
quick combat rules in there so this doesn't take a month to run, but hey, it
is the Final Battle--make it last a month!  Getting back to CoC, when I ran
Day of the Beast, it took a year to finish.  Of course, that was a twelve
part campaign, but you get the idea.  Maybe Unity should've been a
campaign....  Hmmm.... You know, taken in that light, Unity wouldn't require
all that much rewriting.....

Oh, one last thing, I promise.  I did like the quick combat rules (hey,
anything to speed up a massive firefight) but I am surprised that there
weren't any allowances for Edges or Hindrances.  You know, +1 for Heroic, +5
for Bloodthirsty, -5 for Pacifist(5), etc.  I can see having some of them
"Tainted" hindrances for junkers adding up to mean mucho kill ratio for the
character.  In the same light, havign a separate damge to character based on
the Edges/Hindrances.  Those Tainted junkers are prone to being shot at more
while they mow down mutants while the Yeller hiding under a rock less so....

Jeff S