From: Dusarat@aol.com <Dusarat@aol.com>
To: hoe@gamerz.net <hoe@gamerz.net>
Date: Thursday, May 16, 2002 10:40 AM
Subject: [HOE] DL periphernalia

>>As opposed to a $25 D20 book.  Plus a couple of $25-$30 AD&D >books
(Player's Guide & DM's Guide for the Marshalls).

>What are you guys on?  To play D20, you need
>Player's handbook (25$)
>And six dice (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20).
>
>And that' what you need.  More makes the game run smoother, but that's what
you need since you don't spend much time rolling more than one die at a time
(Especially in combat).  The rest is just source material.

>For HoE you need
>-1 30$ book,
>-One of every kind of dice is NOT going to cut it since you roll dice in
groups of four or five, you need at least three of every kind
>-A set of poker chips
>-Two decks of playing cards
>-An opaque container to be used as a 'fate pot'
>(You can 'manage' without fate chips, but approximating them with a die
roll is a bit cumbersome)
>       And as someone who just recently had to get a HoE campaign together
from scratch, I'll say that my #1 problem with all of this was that these
items are not sold in the same place.

>     It's a fun system, but give credit where credit is due.  HoE is good
for the mood of the game, but the system is very complex (A thug shoots at
your Templar, dice will be rolled five times before the attack is resolved,
To hit, location, damage, stun check, wind loss).
>    A goblin takes a swing at your paladin, two dice are rolled, a D20 for
hit and a D4 for damage, and if you roll them at the same time, it takes
even less time.

>    Cmon guys, see the system for what it is.  Fun? Yes.  Simple,
streamlined, and intuitive?  No.