Re: [HOE] Killed My.. Entire... Party....

>  Fudging dice is needed because it is open ended.  In DnD, if a kobold
> swings a sword at a fighter, he will do a maximum of 12 damage, but in HoE,
> since all dice rolls are open ended, with the frequency of dice rolling,
> eventually a player will get kacked by a no-name mook and considering the
> complexity of character gen in HoE, that really isn't warranted.  The fate
> chips counterbalance this somewhat, but only if the marshall is relatively
> free with them.

That's been my method ever since I nearly cooked the entire party with
one double-raise nuke: be liberal with the chips, but let the damage
dice do as they will.  I roll damage in the open, and most shootin'
and fightin' as well, except when it's not to be known yet how skilled
the enemy is.  (The posse's ears are getting sharper - they can
distinguish the sound of d12's rolling from smaller dice.)

>  Realistic?  Well, yes.  A lucky shot with a .22 will kill even the
> heartiest of men, but if realism were fun we'd be gunfighting in the streets
> rather than rolling dice.

Kobolds and blackhats have to have the chance to get lucky, or you
have super-Templars and other "untouchables" wading into a crowd with
their 5 fightin' and 2 DB and armor of the saints and whatnot.

>      Bloodbath games need simple character gen.  The more complex character
> gen is, the more you need to protect characters because the more of a pain
> in the but it is to make a new one.

There is a middle ground.  A PC going down every Nth session, where N
is in the 3 to 8 range is not such a burden.