[HOE] Kids and their size

David Hoff wrote:

> I'm sending this question to both the DL and HOE lists because the
> question is appropriate for both games. If a player has the Kid
> hinderance, is their Size something other than a 6? Common sense would
> say that a kid would only be maybe size 3 or 4 (roughly half the size of
> an adult), but the description of the Kid hinderance in the DL book  and
> HOE book does not mention anything about it. I tried looking in the
> Accumulated Rulings, but didn't see anything there. Anyone know the
> official ruling on this matter?

Nothing has ever "officially" been commented about this - at least as
far as a rulings change for size.  However, I made an unnofficial
accomodation for it quite some time ago, creating the "Young 'Un"
hindrance (posted at the Shelter, included below for your convenience):

Young 'Un (5) - This hindrance assumes that the Kid hindrance only
covers the ages of 12-15.  If you're a Young 'Un, your character is a
wee knee-biter somewhere between the ages of 8-11 and are taken even
less seriously than a Kid.   Truely a new product of the changed world
you find yourself in, you may not take Veteran. Reduce you Size by 2,
and reduce both you Strength and your Knowledge by a step (maximum d6
for both - cannot be bought up); you're not that big, not that strong
and frankly haven't been around long enough to learn much about what's
going on.  On the up side, increase your Pace by 1 and your Nimbleness
by a step (yes, this means your Pace goes up a total of 3 - you have to
be quick to have lived for as long as you have).  You must buy off 3
points of this hindrance by the time you reach 12 years of age - you'll
be a Kid by then...if you live that long (Marshal Note: The character
regains the reduced steps they lost initially at this point - if in fact
they lost one - and increases in Size by 2.  Keep the Nimbleness and
pace boost - consider it a gift for living so long.  Strength and
Knowledge can then be bought up to the "Kid" max of d10 and d8
respectively as normal.  Sure, it's kind of an extreme "growth spurt",
but its neccessary. Besides, I don't think we want to deal with
year-to-year growth charts do we?).

Check out the Shelter for more edge and hindrance fun.  Hope that helps
you, David.

Matt Steflik
Gimme Shelter - http://www.geocities.com/grifflik