The debate over graphics

I would like to point out the two sides [two options] to this debate.
1) Darse's option.
  In the games, produce an option for the players to recieve a text format
  that is readable by a java applet to produce any graphics the player may
  wish.
2) Server side option.
  In the games, produce an option for the players to recieve the boards
  already formed into a high resolution graphic.

I wish to bring up some questions about these options and continue the debate.
For option 1) would each player require a copy of the java applet to produce
a graphic for a particular board?  Would this not mean that each player would
be required to store a copy of each java applet for each game they wish to
play?

With option 2) would it take a lot more cpu time to call up a pre-made
board and then draw the pieces on the graphic?  Do the pre-made graphic
boards take up a considerable amount of memory?