Re: pbmserv-users-digest.20010810

From the games I've played, I think there's less confusion with where the
move will end up the way it is (that is once you get used to the notation),
or else you'll have to deal with illegimate mistake (typos, following line
of sight (due to ASCII), etc.) because the way you suggested legal moves
will be 1 space away...But using compass direction in addition may be a good
idea.

---
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 19:56:13 -0400
From: karlvonl@geocities.com
Subject: Gipf notation is kind of confusing

Would it be too much trouble to implement an alternate notation for
specifying moves in Gipf? When I make a move, I always know where I want
to add the piece and in which direction I want to push it, but I often
make a mistake in specifying what space the move is going to finish in. I
think it would be easier and less error-prone to specify the start and end
space of just the new piece being played, e.g. nd8-d7 would work even if
there are pieces being pushed. Or better yet, one could specify the start
space and the movement direction as a compass direction. For example,
gd8-SE or nh1-N.