Chess

'Twas 00:01 -0500 on Thursday 1/3/2002 when pbmserv-users-owner@gamerz.net
wrote:
>From: mikhaelric@yahoo.com

>i received more responses which attempted to correct my previous statement
>that the chess we play was not the same 500 years ago.
>
>(If you REALLY wish to be technical, chess is not the same as it was 5
>years ago, for the chess laws are constantly being amended and changed.)

The last serious change in the rules of Chess occurred in the 1930s, and
that was just clarifying a rule to clearly state what most people had
always thought.

It seems that someone promoted a pawn to a rook on the king file.  On the
next move he castled toward that rook.  The tournament director allowed it,
on the grounds that the new rook had never moved.  The rule was changed the
next year to say that you can only castle toward the two rooks that start
the game.

I think the only rule changes since then have to do with time clocks and
touch move.  Nothing that you would see when you read the game moves after
the fact.
--
RB |\  Randall Bart
aa |/  admin@RandallBart.com     1-818-985-3259      Barticus@att.net