Re: Abelone - moving 4 marbles???

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 05:36:20PM -0400, Karl von Laudermann wrote:
> On Monday, July 1, 2002, at 04:20  PM, unic wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > my opponent just moved 4 marbles in our Abelone games... according to the
> > rules of Abelone, both as I've learned them, and as they are given on the
> > server's webpage ( http://www.gamerz.net/pbmserv/abalone.html ), you're
> > only allowed to move up to 3 marbles at once.
> >
> > Yet, my opponent just moved 4 and pushed 3 of mine, one of them off the
> > board... what does this give?  Have we been playing assuming different
> > rules?  I've played and planned according to the rules as I know them, and
> > as given on the web page.
> >
> > How do we resolve that?  Is this a known bug of the server?  Or even an
> > intended, but undocumented feature?
>
> I seem to recall reading a long time ago that the Abalone engine does not
> check to make sure you are moving 3 or fewer of your own marbles. So this
> is a known bug, that no one seems to be in a hurry to fix.

Yes.  This has long been the behaviour of the Abalone server.
it allowed "long" moves.  however, just earlier today, I applied a patch
from dzander that corrects this behaviour.  If you wish to play a game
with "long" moves allowed, the challenge must include "-long" as one of
the arguments.

--
 /  \__  | Richard Rognlie / Sendmail Ninja / Gamerz.NET Lackey
 \__/  \ | http://www.gamerz.net/rrognlie/    <rrognlie@gamerz.net>