Quoridor Tournament starting January

Attention all Quoridor enthusiasts!

I will host a Quoridor tournament starting in January for up to 20 players. If 12 or more sign up, I will also award a new, shrink-wrapped Quoridor set to the winner.

Tournament format: Two sections (preliminaries and finals) of round robin play. Players will be divided into preliminary rounds of 4 or 5 players, chosen with the aim of putting the greatest possible diversity of rating-levels in each round. As nearly as possible, players will have the first move in one-half of their games. Each player will have 30 days total to make all his moves in a game. Hence a game should normally not last longer than 60 days, but if a player notifies me and his opponent that he's going on vacation, I'll "stop the clock" once during the tournament per player, for a period of up to 15 days. If your opponent uses up the allotted time before you and you let me know, I'll count you as the winner of that game. The players who win the most games in each preliminary round will advance to a final round, which I hope will also have 4 or 5 players. (If there are so many ties in the preliminary section that the final section has too many players, I may decide to form two rounds and have the winners from each secondary round match off afterward.)

If you'd like to play in this tournament, please let me know. I hope to start early in January, to avoid having to work around a lot of Christmas vacations (including my own).

Mark Thompson
userid markthomps