Re: Wizard scoring change?

From: Richard Rognlie <rrognlie@gamerz.net>
Subject: Wizard scoring change?
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 06:22:54 -0500

> I am considering a "soft" bidding option for wizard.
>
> currently, the scoring is...
>
>    if you fail to take enough tricks... -10 * undertricks
>    if you make your bid exactly...      20 + 10 * bid
>    if you take too many tricks...       -10 * overtricks
>
> The soft option would change the scoring to...
>
>    if you fail to take enough tricks... -10 * undertricks
>    if you make your bid exactly...      20 + 10 * bid
>    if you take too many tricks...       20 + 10 * bid + overtricks
>
> However, there *is* a penalty to taking too many tricks.  If you
> take a total of 5 or more overtricks, you take a 50 point penalty.
>
> Comments?

I've never played wizard on the server, but I've played it a lot with
cards. We then had a similar game with these bidding options and they
actually spoil the game because you then tend to bid way below what you
think you'll take. It may be a nice option for beginners but it would be
a bad default choice.

Cheers

Edi