Re: Wizard scoring change?

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 06:22:54 -0500, Richard Rognlie said:
> I am considering a "soft" bidding option for wizard.
[...]
> The soft option would change the scoring to...
>
>    if you fail to take enough tricks... -10 * undertricks
>    if you make your bid exactly...      20 + 10 * bid
>    if you take too many tricks...       20 + 10 * bid + overtricks
>
> However, there *is* a penalty to taking too many tricks.  If you
> take a total of 5 or more overtricks, you take a 50 point penalty.
>
> Comments?

Just to make sure ... do you mean (I think you do)
>    if you take too many tricks...       20 + (10 * bid) + overtricks
if I bid 2 tricks and make 3 I get 41 points

or ...
>    if you take too many tricks...       20 + 10 * (bid + overtricks)
if I bid 2 tricks and make 3 I get 50 points

I think it's nice to not penalize someone as much as (-10 * overtricks)
when
they bid too little, but your soft option is way too soft: someone who
bids
too little gets more points than one who bids 0 tricks and makes it

I think this would be fairer
bid too much        ->      -10 * undertricks
bid just right      ->      20 + (10 * bid)
bid too little      ->      10
        scoring less than the ones who bid 0 tricks and made it

--
                                            ()    ribbon campaign     ()
                                            /\   against HTML mail    /\