A proposed Change to the "message" command.

some time ago, it was pointed out to me that pbmserv was "leaking"
player information if they used the "message" command to send
a message to other players.  and on investigation, it was completely
confirmed.

If you used the message command to send a message to another player
they would see your return email address.  So we changed the message
command to be "From" pbmserv.  It makes it harder to reply.  Now you
must remember to change the Subject: into the appropriate command, etc.
etc.

and I can't tell you how many times I've replied, only to have it
bounce because I forgot to frob with the Subject line...

So... I'm contemplating a new pbmserv service.  And that would be
the creation of a pbmserv email "alias" for each pbmserv user.

    e.g. rrognlie@pbmserv.gamerz.net

so, if you want to send a message to a number of players on the
server, just CC all of them in your normal email client.  If you
wish to remain anonymous...  the message command will continue to
work, using the same mechanism, but IT would set the From address
for you (and no longer make pbmserv@gamerz.net the sender).

THIS IS JUST A PROPOSAL.  I've not started doing anything with it
yet.  Are there any privacy concerns here?   And how might we
see about addressing possible SPAM issues...?

Should only addresses associated with pbmserv userids be allowed
to post to other pbmserv users?

--
 /  \__  | Richard Rognlie / Sendmail Ninja / Gamerz.NET Lackey
 \__/  \ | http://www.gamerz.net/rrognlie/    <rrognlie@gamerz.net>