A proposed Change to the "message" command.

'Twas 00:00 -0500 on Monday 3/3/2003 when owner-pbmserv-users@gamerz.net wrote:
>Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 13:08:53 -0500
>From: rrognlie@gamerz.net
>Subject: A proposed Change to the "message" command.

>If you used the message command to send a message to another player
>they would see your return email address.  So we changed the message
>command to be "From" pbmserv.  It makes it harder to reply.  Now you
>must remember to change the Subject: into the appropriate command, etc.
>etc.

I think the obvious solution would be that the subject line of the message
command should be self reversing.  When you send me a message, it comes
with the subject "Message to barticus from rrognlie".  I reply, which sends
email to Pbmserv with the subject "Re: Message to barticus from
rrognlie".  This message is forwarded to you with the subject "Message to
rrognlie from barticus".  I looks a little weird on the way back to the
server, but it works.

>So... I'm contemplating a new pbmserv service.  And that would be
>the creation of a pbmserv email "alias" for each pbmserv user.
>
>     e.g. rrognlie@pbmserv.gamerz.net

That would work too.

>THIS IS JUST A PROPOSAL.  I've not started doing anything with it
>yet.  Are there any privacy concerns here?   And how might we
>see about addressing possible SPAM issues...?
>
>Should only addresses associated with pbmserv userids be allowed
>to post to other pbmserv users?

That's a good idea, but currently you don't necessarily know the
address(es) I send from.  You only need to know the ones you send
to.  However it would be simple enough to require people to register an
address which they wish to use for sending message to other players.
--
RB |\  Randall Bart
aa |/  admin@RandallBart.com     1-818-985-3259      Barticus@att.net