Re: [pbmserv] New game: Orion

'Twas 06:39 AM +1000 on Saturday 12/27/2003 when Cameron Browne wrote:
            always be an odd number of external neighbours hence draws
   are not possible.

A bit of debris from another game left in the rules.

Some comments:

1) Orion is not a game, it is a game playing tool like a deck of cards. We wouldn't have one game with "Cards challenge -game=hearts" and "Cards challenge -game=poker" as options. It would cause ratings of these different games to be mixed. If a player set limit or seeking on Cards it wouldn't be possible to know which game the player wanted. Therefore this should be divided up and implemented as separate games on the server, as we have done with the backgammon variations.

2) At first glance, it looks like obstructive play can prevent the opponent from ever winning. Maybe I missed how easy it is to plunge through the back line, but it looks to me like a player who only plays defense will never lose.

3) How many moves is a typical game of Hydra? It looks like a game will be pretty long for email play. A game should average fewer than 40 moves. One of the reasons that Hexxagon doesn't have a big following here is that games cannot take fewer than 55 moves, and almost always run over 70. Maybe I am wrong on this for the same reason I am wrong on the prior.

4) The scanned rule book has some problems. It must have been in color and some things are not showing up.

5) You are using a different numbering system than the one in the scanned rule book. Is this an established convention?

6) It's okay by me if you implement one more connection game. Call it Egotism. B^)
--
RB |\ Randall Bart
aa |/ admin@RandallBart.com Home: 1-212-965-1786 Barticus@att.net