[pbmserv] Re: Broadcast from jjartus via PBM Server

Randall Bart wrote:

'Twas 04:04 PM +0000 on Saturday 3/6/2004 when Jan Kristian Haugland wrote:
I get 21,141 different configurations.

I don't know how you calculated that, but it looks good.

P(15,5,5,5) = 15!/(5!*5!*5!) = 756,756. Adjusting for color replacement we divide by six, adjusting for rotation we divide by three, adjusting for reflection we divide by two, and get 21,021. I know for sure that this number is low, because a small number of substitutions, rotations, and reflections mimic each other. Your number is probably right. How did you calculate it?

Brute force on the computer. I generated all possible configurations and counted those that could not become "alphabetically smaller" by rotations, reflections or colour replacement. I should probably be able to calculate it directly, but...

The game seems to be a distant relative to my game of Nineteen:

http://home.no.net/zamunda/nineteen.htm

That's one of them good versions of Nim I mentioned.

:-)

J K Haugland