[pbmserv] Broadcast from dshort via PBM Server

Do you like to play chess on Richard's PBM server? So do I. In the past I
have organized
small round robin events of chess on this server. Now I want to try to
organize a tournament
which is slightly more ambitious. It's time to find out once and for all who
are the strongest
players on this server. This is what I have in mind.

I am opening this tournament up to the first 18 players who sign up.
After the field is complete, those players will be seeded 1 to 18 according
to their
most up to date PBM chess ratings, seeding established players over
provisionally
rated players, and seeding unrated players at the bottom of the field in
random order.

Two sections will then be created, designated by the letters "P" and "R"

Section P will contain seeds #s  1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15 and 17

Section R will contain seeds #s  2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 15, and 18

In the first round players will each play 8 games concurrently,
one game against each of the other 8 players in their section.
Players will play 4 games with the white pieces and 4 games with the black
pieces.
Pairings will be determined using a formula which gives the highest seeds
white against the other high seeds in their section and black against the
lower seeds.

The two section winners and three "wild-card" players advance to the
Championship
Round, Section S. A wild-card is a player who does not win their section but
has a
better record than all other non-winners in either section. The concept is
similar
to those used in professional baseball, hockey, basketball and football.

If there is a tie for a place in the championship round the first tie
breaker is
head to head result and if that fails to resolve the tie, all tied players
will advance
and a larger section will be created. Barring that happening, 5 players
advance to
the championship round. Section winners will be re-seeded # 1 and # 2
and wild-cards seeded 3 to 5 according to their first round seeds, highest
surviving
seed non-section winner gets seed # 3, if identical scores between players
from
different sections, first round ratings used to determine seeds, higher
rated player
gets higher seed.  In the championship round, you play a total of 4 games,
one game against each of the other 4 players. You will play 2 games with the
white
pieces and 2 games with the black pieces. Again a format will be used to
give the
higher seeds white against the higher seeds and black against the lower
seeds.
Best record in the championship round is the winner of the tournament.

No prizes will be awarded and entry is fee. All games will affect your
Richard's PBM server
chess rating.  TIME CONTROL FOR ALL GAMES IS A TOTAL TIME LIMIT CAP OF
180 DAYS TO COMPLETE ALL MOVES. WHEN YOU ARE ON VACATION YOUR TOTAL
TIME WILL CONTINUE TO RUN WHEN YOU ARE ON MOVE, YOU SIMPLY DO NOT
RECEIVE NAGS FROM THE SERVER! PLEASE BE AWARE OF THIS!
For this reason, there are no restrictions on how much vacation time a
player may
take during the tournament.

To sign up for this tournament please email your PBM chess userid to me at

davidnyj889@hotmail.com

Please realize that it may take a while before I receive enough entries for
us to begin.
I reserve the right to replace a player who withdraws early on in the
tournament
with an alternate player and give him the same seed as the player who
withdrew.
In the event of a player withdrawing late in the tournament it is likely
that I would simply
award forfeit wins to all of his opponents and not replace the player.