Re: [pbmserv] Broadcast from kiwibill via PBM Server

At 05:26 PM 4/10/2004 -0400, Bill's kiwi wrote:
HEXADE
======

Does anyone know WHY the rule was introduced into Hexade, that
the attainment of a winning combination must be retained for one more turn?

It seems most un-game-like to me; I don't know of any other game where
"you don't win when you win", and I can't really see what is the purpose of
it is.  It doesn't seem as if it would be too easy to win, without the rule.

The most famous game with the "win after opponent's turn" rule is probably Epaminondas. The same rule has also been added to the official Akron rules (but not implemented in the server version yet).

This rule is normally used to artificially extend a game that is otherwise too easy to win. It's to stop a player winning with a slight advantage: it has to be a *big* advantage to survive until the next round.

Don't know the history of Hexade, but I would guess that the rule was inserted to add some tactical depth since it has so many winning conditions.

Cameron