Re: [pbmserv] Othello Strategy Good Spaces

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 12:50:10PM -0400, Randall Bart wrote:
> The following strategy note should be in the Othello rules.

[...]
> Until the end game, just look to those squares.  If you have one, it is
> good.  If you play next to one and let your opponent take it, that's bad.

If only life were that simple. I'd plead to not put anything
so simplistic in the rules, as it'd lead beginners into
worrying about the wrong things -- frontier, mobility and
parity are global variables that are infinitely more
important than those spots. If you must include strategy
hints to the rule, just make it a link to Lazard's excellent
introduction that's available here:

http://www.radagast.se/othello/Help/strategy.html

Anyone interested in Othello should have a read of it.

Y/whiterabit