Re: [pbmserv] Five in a row.... with a twist

----- Original Message ----- From: "David J Bush" <twixt@cstone.net>
To: <pbmserv-users@gamerz.net>
Sent: Saturday, December 18, 2004 3:17 PM
Subject: Re: [pbmserv] Five in a row.... with a twist

| Ah maybe I didn't write that clearly enough... | | The user takes turns moving and each move consists of placing a piece | and then turning one part of the board 90 degrees.

You wrote that clearly enough, but it leaves some questions open:

What sort of opening protocol is there? For example in many games there is
the "swap" rule. After the first stone is placed, the 2nd player has the
option to swap sides. If sides are swapped, the player who moved first is
now the 2nd player, and makes the next move. Sides may be swapped only
once per game. If the 2nd player does not swap immediately after the first
move, then sides may not be swapped at all that game.

Such a rule can make the game much more balanced and interesting. But if
the people who designed the game did not include any such balancing rule,
that says a lot (in my opinion) about how much thought they put into the
game in the first place (not much.)

I agree with Douglas there, who knows if it's needed yet...
maybe it needs to be...

Are you required to rotate a quadrant on your move, or may you leave all
quadrants as they are?

I'm pretty sure you must turn a quadrant,
they say that each move consists of 2 parts.

If you form five in a row for both yourself and your opponent on your turn,
what is the game outcome?

that's a draw, it's also a draw if the board is full and noone won by then

Does an overline (six in a row) win? If there is no mention of this
possibility in the rules, again this would indicate to me that the inventors
did not put a lot of thought into the game.

well, the board is only 6x6 so I guess it won't be that easy,
but if you have 6 in a row you also have 5 in a row so that is probably a win...

| On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 09:57:38AM -0500, David J Bush wrote:
| > | A Swedish publisher is just launching a new game called Pentago
| > | (http://www.pentago.se/) the page is still only in Swedish. The game is
| > | a simple five in a row but with a little diffrent concept as the board
| > | moves...
| > |