[pbmserv] Re: popularity of games

Matt,

I'm not sure how far back the game records extend, but I recently added an SGF command to the game of Go so that it is now possible to get a Go game record that would be usable in programs such as cgoban, The Many Faces of Go, Vizigo, Pilotgone, and others:

go sgf gamenumber

If you will be making game records available, this could be useful for those who like to review their Go games. I may add SGF for games like Chess (where SGF is sometimes also called PNG), Checkers, Backgammon, etc. at some point, but still need to learn a little more about those specific implementations. Also, it would be handy to know what SGF viewers/editors people use for games other than Go, so I could have some on hand to test the SGF output.

Morat wrote:
Actually, nice serendipity (synchronicity?) that this issue comes up now. About a year ago (my how time flies) I released an initial version of a web site that would display statistics about the games on Richard's server (player ratings, number of games played, etc.) and several of you sent me some good feedback.

Well, I've finally had some time to revise things and am pretty close to releasing the new version. I've completely reworked how the statistics are compiled and have something that I think is a little more robust. One thing I would like is to include info about as much past history as possible (i.e. as many game records from completed games as possible). Given Richard's post (and my personal bias :) I think I'll start out ignoring backgammon.