Re: [pbmserv] Chess moves

There are many ways to make a move in chess:

Nf3 moves a kNight to f3, whichever knight can legally move there.  if both can move there, see below
Nbf3 (or N1f3) moves a kNight from column b (or row 1) to space f3.  if this is still ambiguous, see below

e1-f3 moves the piece at e1 to f3.  this is completely unambiguous, but it is hard to follow a game in your head with this notation

there are other variations to indicate captures, castles, etc, but I think those are explained well enough in the rules to follow given the above explanation of the basics.