Re: [PyrNet-L] BREEDING: ALBINOS

marianne:

I'm not an authority on this subject as it pertains to Pyrs, but in most
animals, albino-ism is cause purely by an accidental mutation of a gene,
and cannot purposely be "caused" in any way.    It is a total lack of
pigmentation, because the body cannot make it.  It cannot be bred that way,
although tendencies toward albino-ism can run in a family.
The other form of "albino-ism" is not true albino-- (I've forgotten the
name of this one), but it has the white lack of pigmentation of the skin,
but they DO have the internal pigmentation and normal pigmentation behind
the eyes, which make their eyes look normal (true albinos have no pigment
in their eyes, either, making them white or red).

Hope this helps.  I do suppose breeding two pure white pyrs would make a
yet whiter offspring (depending of their background) but that doesn't mean
they would be albino.

Tracy