Re: [PyrNet-L] Why ask why?

At 06:10 PM 3/5/98 -0500, you wrote:

>> >      "Whatever it takes to make a difference!"
>> >   And bless you for trying to make a difference!

>> While I appreciate this adage I personally don't believe that the ends
>> justify the means.
>
>Catherine Oldham,
>
>I must say that I have been reading whatever it is that you are trying
>to say, and I'm sorry, but I just don't get it.

That's ok. I am just objecting to the "whatever it takes" part of the
statement. There are some things I would not  and should not do from an
ethical standpoint, even if they would furthur the Rescue cause.

>Today I sent a rescue Maremma that I have been fostering to a new home
>in St. Johnsbury, Vermont.  I do that because it is the right thing to
>do; because I can't imagine what else I would do but try to help.

And those of us who do rescue too, send a big thank you your way.
Unfortunately, it is a never ending job. Of course you should try to make a
difference. I never implied otherwise. I also think we need to get to the
root of the problem. Since I have seen that it is almost impossible to
legislate laws for puppy mills and backyard breeders without shutting down
the small time reputable breeder, I now believe it is up to us to educate
prospecitive puppy buyers about buying from responsible breeders and
responsible pet ownership. Running ads concurrently in newspapers
advertizing free information about these things has effectively shut down
more than one puppy mill. Careing for rescues is very very important, but it
doesn't stop them from coming, and we are fast burning out our volunteers
with the sheer numbers.

>Read Dianne Migas' post about "education" and Mitzi's post about
>"decalf" and then give us a break.

Hmm. I have read and rearead every post carefully.  Lets keep it civil,
can't we? I don't even drink coffee--or small bovines if that is what you
really meant <g>!

Cathryn