Re: [PyrNet-L] What questions do I ask?

>I have been in touch with a breeder and before I call him personally I would
>like to know what kinds of questions to ask before buying a pyr puppy.  We
>have never had a pyr before and I fell in love with them the first time I met
>one.  Any help would be great.
>
>thanks, DeeDee
>
>I would ask what type of contracts he has.(Health and temperment guarantees)
I would want to see OFA or another registries proof that the parents are
free of hip dysplasia.
Ask when and with what the puppies were wormed and vaccinated? (They should
of been wormed 3X by 9 weeks.) (They should have been giving "puppy" shots
aprox. at 5-8-12-16 weeks of age, with rabies given at 16 weeks.)
I would ask if as the breeder are you going to stand by this dog and take my
puppy back at any time during its life if for some reason I can not keep
him.  I strongly believe that as breeders we should only bring into this
world Pyrs that we will stick with for its entire life. That might just be
for information or advice given to the puppys owners. Or that might mean
taking back a 6 year old thats owners are getting a divorce and neither can
keep the dog.
These are a few important points to me that I would ask if I were picking
out a Pyr puppy.
I would hope that the breeder would ask you several questions as well.
They should want to know if you have fencing? ( A must for a Great Pyrenees.)
They should want to know your families life style. When will you be home
with your dog?
They will want to talk to all members of your house hold and make certain
that every member of your family wants the dog.
These are only a few questions that an ethical breeder would ask you as a
prospective puppy buyer.
Good Luck with your new puppy.
Adrianne Hughes
Devoir Great Pyrenees