Re: [PyrNet-L] Shaving Pyrs

> OK, I have often wondered about this.  I live in Dallas, Texas.  Our
summer
> days average 94 degrees and many time go above 100.  I can only walk Jean
Luc
> for a short period of time and he becomes a major drool factory,
lathargic,
> and unwilling.  That to me means overheated.  Would not shaving (real
shot
> clip) help this?   Let some of the heat off the body?
>
> Kirk Justus
> Dallas, Texas

Please tell me if I'm wrong, but I get the feeling the people who are
suggesting shaving their Pyrs do NOT use these dogs as LGDs? Those long,
thick coats are an integral part of their protection (armor) from
predators. I've never heard of a working Pyr being clipped down for
"comfort". The dogs are not dumb - they will stay where they are
comfortable, be that under a shade tree or in the duck pond <G>, and won't
willingly overdo in hot weather. Also, I might suggest walking your dog
either early in the morning or late evening rather than in the heat of the
day - cooler for BOTH of you.

IMO, clipping is a "owner convenience" issue rather than a "dog comfort"
one, except in unusual circumstances such as the cottony coat or skin
problems. I have no problem with owners clipping their housepet Pyrs, if
they choose to. I doubt it hurts a thing, and certainly would be easier to
keep their coats and skin healthy if you don't like to groom regularly.
And, for me,  keeping a dog unmatted and healthy is more important than how
they look. I know I thought long and hard before deciding to go ahead and
get a Pyr because I am aware of the amount of grooming commitment there is
to these dogs.

I know I'm new to the list and I sure don't mean to offend anyone with my
comments. I am curious though . . . are there people with working Pyrs on
this list?

Debbie Frost / snowgoose
Home of Spring Promise Pygmies
NPGA
dfrost@customcpu.com
Anchorage/Wasilla, AK

We can sympathize with a child who is afraid of the dark,
but the real tragedy of life is that most people are afraid of the light.