[PyrNet-L] Re: Longevity of Pyrs

Joe and other Pyr lovers:

I wrote down all the names of the dogs who have lived
out their lives with me, and next to the name, how old
they were when they died. I deleted the puppy who died
in an unfortunate accident at age 6 months, and Patou who
lived to be almost 15.

I added their ages together and divided by the number of
dogs. I came up to 8.1 years.

Of all the dogs, Patou was the only one who lived out his
life naturally. And he came from a long line who didn't. His
dam died (at 11) of liver failure probably precipitated
by the Heartworm preventative she was given (Patou, the
last 3 years of his life was treated by a holistic vet
who did not recommend heartworm and chuckled when I asked
him if Patou should be tested. His response was "what will
you do if he has it, knowing full well at age 14 the answer
was "nothing").

We lost the others to varying disorders, including two to bloat,
one to cancer, one to a heart attack, and two males to food
related problems (all during the 80s). I feel that these deaths,
though all premature, must be counted in the longevity issue.
These were all "non-working dogs" - my kennel couch potatoes.
Environment was upstate New York at the foot of the Catskill
mountains. Good water, clean air.

If you think that these should be excluded from the longevity
issue due to the circumstances, then I would have to say the
only Pyr who lived out his life with me was almost 15. And the
last 6 years of his life were lived in NJ, five miles
west of "Cancer Alley" (the Perth Amboy to Newark corridor).

Any thoughts on this? And using my method, what numbers
do you get? Charlotte - Joe - anyone else?

--
  Carol
 Carol Brescher Boyle                Improving the health of our dogs,

 Need a wholesome dog-friendly recipe? See the "Recipe of the month"
        at the our web-site http://www.naturaldogfood.com