Re: [PyrNet-L] Pyr-net - Rescue Dog

Catherine, et.al.,

<<I suggest that you contact the person at the address below who is in
Bennington, Vermont.  She does rescue for the Flockguard List and recently
helped me to place a Maremma.  She emailed me about someone looking for a
Pyr about a week ago and we did not have one in NE rescue.  If she can't
help you, I will send you the address of David Totsch who does rescue in NH
and may know of someone looking:>>

I sincerely appreciate everyone's efforts with this dog.  He has been
transferred to a long time rescue person who is a member of the Pyrenean
Fanciers of the Northeast.  He's spendint time with her so that she can do
further some further evaluation.  I also have two prospective homes for him
that I'm holding off on pending the outcome of Dudley's evaluation and
further interviews with each party.  While I don't doubt Karen's evaluation
of Dudley in the least (thank you Karen <g>), she only had him for a short
period of time.  And sometimes you may not see a particular behavior in a
dog until he feels a bit more comfortable with his surroundings.  As a
rescue person, I want to ensure that the dog that I'm placing is going to
fit in his or her new home and I will not place the dog in the first home
that comes along because he's currently in limbo.  If this were an ideal
world, well...

The Pyrenean Fanciers of the NE has people scattered throughout the NE who
help with rescue.  If you're interested in helping out in any way, shape or
form, please contact me.  I can always use more help.

If you know of anyone who is interested in adopting a Pyr in the Northeast,
I'd greatly appreciate if you would forward the information to me or have
the interested people contact me as I have other dogs needing homes (phone
number and email address are below).  I'd also appreciate if people would
work through the regional Pyr clubs for a number of reasons;  once we place
a dog, we become the support for the new adoptive homes much in the same way
that a breeder provides support to their new puppy owners, and we don't
confuse people who are looking to adopt a rescue or place a dog into rescue
by sending them to a number of different referrals only to lead them to a
possible dead end.  (FWIW, they usually come back to a club rescue person).
While I don't doubt the power of the internet in helping to place rescue
dogs, experience has taught me that it's also fraught with limitations.

Thanks for listening.
Karen Reiter
Pyrenean Fanciers of the NE Rescue Chair
GPCA Rescue Rep
kreiter@servtech.com
716-223-1510