[PyrNet-L] RE: pyrnet-l-digest.19980322

I want to thank all of you for the wonderful information I am
receiving about these great dogs of ours..  Eliza is approaching the
one year mark and I learn more about her every day.  Your postings
have helped me to understand behavior I have noticed in her and often
wondered about.  About sleeping arrangements - I tried crate training
from the time I brought her home and she was far from a textbook
example and only went in when forced to.  She slept either outside or
in our tiled bathroom.  At nine months we had holiday guests and moved
her crate to an outside screened-in patio to make a little more room
in our living room.  One evening, I said, "crate" and she astounded me
by walking right in.  Ever since then she has been perfectly happy to
enter on command.  Otherwise she is outside during the day when we are
all at work and school and in the house when we are home.  She crates
at night, only occasionally preferring to sleep under the stars..  We
live in Houston where temperatures can be quite uncomfortable and our
winter nights are probably delightful for her.  I am anxious to see
whether she will prefer the air conditioned inside before too long,
then I will probably bring the crate in.  I don't think she is ready
to be left the run of the house without supervision yet.  I have
always had Old English Sheepdogs and used to keep them in the garage
at night or during bad weather.  I made a four foot wire barrier that
fit in the door space and would just lower the door on top of it.  The
dogs were able to get the full ventilation as well as keep track of
happenings in the neighborhood.  Thanks again for all your wonderful
anecdotes.