Re: [PyrNet-L] Pyr puppy prices

Way to go Sandy. I agree wholeheartedly. Success in the ring is to some
extent bunk, particularly if pro handlers are involved. Many (most?) judges
are only concerned with movement, showmanship and politics. Some of the
worst pyrs I've ever seen, typewise, are AKC champions, but they move nicely
and had pro handlers.

I would encourage pyr people to go to a lot of shows, especially nationals,
see a lot of dogs, read the standard and make up your own minds. While there
is certainly some value in seeing what wins, I think it is too often a
factor of soundness and handlers, and type is too often ignored. Way too
many judges just want to see a dog that moves and shows well, and looks
pretty, and they wouldn't know a good pyr from a Saint or a Kuvasz.

Prices vary a lot from region to region in the country, and of course
big-name kennels charge a lot more. Because one dog cost $2,000 and another
$500 or even less doesn't reflect at all on the quality of the dog.

Darrell Goolsbee