Re: [PyrNet-L] Pyr puppy prices

>         Going to shows...(and I mean MANY shows) allows people to
> EDUCATE themselves on types and what type is proper and correct.  The
> dogs in the show ring are more apt to be closer to the standard than the
> dogs in the feild because they are being judged by several people with
> several ideas and opions....showing is important because it allows
> breeders to come together and compare...

I only have to say one thing here - they are being judged by several
people if you go to a long weekend of shows - otherwise, if you go to
one show, it's only the one judge in the ring that's opinion is counted.
I just wanted to point this out for the people out there that have never
been to a show and may get the wrong impression. Yes, there are many of
us ringside "judging" for ourselves, no show dog is perfect and those of
us doing that may disagree with the judge in the ring.

>         Now...having said that...
> Health clearances are the most important thing, right up there next to
> temperment, which shares the same level...The most UNLIKELY people to
> OFA or do all the other stuff is the farmer who beleives that if it can
> work (move from one end of the pasture to the other) its obviously
> sound...which is not the case...

So true Adrienne - I can show you one of mine that all appearances this
dog is sound but, in reality the dog, when a pup, broke a hip, it did
not heal well and is permanently damaged.

> The reason why show people are more apt to do the health clearances is
> peer pressure.  People who show dogs are constantly looking over each
> others shoulder and when they don't do clearances it comes back to haunt
> them (most of the time)...the farmers have no one being "big brother"
> and they are not exposed to the "embarrassment" level.

Not doing clearances comes back to haunt you when you breed - if you
don't check, you don't know and somewhere down the line will produce a
real mess.

Lisa