Re: [PyrNet-L] Pyr puppy prices

BirdBugg wrote:

> In a message dated 3/24/98 6:16:34 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> caspyr@aristotle.net writes:
>
> << The only way to determine if a dog (of any breed) is a good example of
>  their particular is to compete in the show ring.
>
>  Your just kidding, right?
>
>  All Pyrs are working -- that's instinctive.
>
>  Again, I hope you are kidding.
>   >>

> I'm with Jerome, I hope this was a joke.

You folks are missing the point of what is MENT and are reading what is
only being "said".

Now, you have to understand I show very little, compared to the other
people on here, so I am NOT comming from the "gotta have a CH" to breed
veiw...and I do not think the other person was either.

When you show your dog, you are not just "showing", you are exposing
yourself to MANY examples of the breeds.  YES showing is done just by
looks ect...no clearances ect...but you must be KIDDING if you expect to
convince me that the "working" pyrs are x-rayed any more or "judged" any
better....after all the person doing the "judging" is judge and
jury...absolutely no other veiw or input.

Jerome, you said yourself working is instintive...okay...if true working
ability is so instinctive and seemingly easy to come by...then it*would*
be better to be getting a dog from the breed ring only strait out of
CHs...but personally I don't believe that to be true...

Any how...
	Going to shows...(and I mean MANY shows) allows people to
EDUCATE themselves on types and what type is proper and correct.  The
dogs in the show ring are more apt to be closer to the standard than the
dogs in the feild because they are being judged by several people with
several ideas and opions....showing is important because it allows
breeders to come together and compare...
	Now...having said that...
Health clearances are the most important thing, right up there next to
temperment, which shares the same level...The most UNLIKELY people to
OFA or do all the other stuff is the farmer who beleives that if it can
work (move from one end of the pasture to the other) its obviously
sound...which is not the case...
The reason why show people are more apt to do the health clearances is
peer pressure.  People who show dogs are constantly looking over each
others shoulder and when they don't do clearances it comes back to haunt
them (most of the time)...the farmers have no one being "big brother"
and they are not exposed to the "embarrassment" level.

--

Adrienne Wilder  www.stc.net/~draggon/index.htm (pet portraits)
Murrayville GA

"Oh, to be loved by a dog!"