Re: [PyrNet-L] Pyr puppy prices

<<Far from a perfect system at all, but at least an attempt.  To allow everyone
>to make up their own mind about what a good pyr should be would be disaster.
>The show is an opinion about the standard, right or wrong it is an opinion.
>It does generally try to evaluate dogs according to the standard.>>

Don't know why my posts always seem to come off so harsh. Must be the
medium, I guess *g*.

But the point I was trying to make is that judges _ many of whom don't know
much about and/or don't care about the breed _ shouldn't have the final word
on what is or is not a good pyr. Those interested in the breeding and
betterment of the breed need to take the time and effort to find out what
the standard means, by meeting and talking to those more knowledgeable and
by seeing lots of dogs and making up their own minds. There are, after all,
differing opinions on just what the ``ideal'' pyr is. To an uneducated
newcomer, the standard might as well be written in Greek.

And what goes into the ring is our decision. If we ONLY give judges sound,
typey, in-standard pyrs to choose from, they're guaranteed to put up a good dog.

Darrell Goolsbee