[PyrNet-L] PORCUPINES,snakes,Skunks

Hi everyone,
    Help! Spring is here, snakes, porcupines and skunks!...
   It happened last night at approximately, 8:45 PM. Lexington,
encountered her first porcupine.
I initially, thought that she had food or mud under her chin. No such
luck! She managed to get seven quills under the chin and three of them,
implanted in her left front paw. Lexi, seemed not to know that they were
there, until it was time to pull them out.
   Before this, I had only had one other experience of the kind, with
Tess. Back then, I rushed Tess to the doctor. Tess, was apparently,
"unusually, smart, for a dog,. so said the vet. because, the next night
the porcupine came back.  But,Tess never had quills in her again. <g>.
   I paged the veterinarian, I almost put out a cry for help, here on
the list, when he didn't call back for all of three minutes. When he
called back, he offered us, a hospital visit and/or instructions to help
us with the task at hand. I agreed with Dr. Temm, that we would try to
pull them out ourselves. I questioned him at great length. He instructed
me about how, and what we needed to do. Such as to use  tweezers or a
needle nosed pliers, to quickly and firmly pull them out. To pull them
out one at a time, and to keep the tool near to the skin. Etc.
   No, No, No, I will not ever, with only two people and one pyr do this
again. Not without help, from this list, anyway. <g>.
    Lexi, is a little spit o' fire and power house, for all of her 76
lb.. Lee and I tried just everything imaginable to help her, to help us,
to be able to, safely and thoroughly do the pull's. With the first two
quills, it was all too, deceptively, easy, as to what was yet, to be.
Ummm!
    Needless to say, the situation, rapidly, began to deteriorate. I
used child psychology, voice tones, fried zucchini, reassuring touch,
nothing, but, ever loving nothing, worked, well. We, only successfully,
pulled out four out of the seven. We, could not continue to hold her and
calm her, anymore. She was not a happy pyrenees, camper. I do not like
to have to force her, physically, to do something anyway.
None of us were happy camper's, until later, last night, at,
approximately, 10:00 PM. As if, we then needed any convincing;  Jonah,
became the final convincer! Jonah, with all his heroic, male pyrenees
splendor, had accessed the situation and decided to tell us, enough
already. As if to say, "plan A, is not working, on to plan B." Lee, was
kneeling down near Lexington, Jonah, with authority, moseyed over to his
Daddy, to stand up on Daddy's shoulder's, until the room's mood changed
and Lexi, was released!
    Lee, the vet and I,( Lexi, and Jonah, too,) <g>, all made the
decision to pack the pyrs in the van.
When we arrived at the hospital, he checked her out well, inside and
out. Guess what? No quill's!!! <vbg>.
Apparently, in the commotion, Lee had gotten them all out and we did not
even notice or realize that they were properly gone.( Fineto!, Gonzo!,
Or, bye-byed! .) Whew!
    Spring is here alright! I've learned from you, more than I ever
wanted to know about snakes! What are your suggestion's or practice's,
when it comes to another, porcupine, and/or the inevitable, skunk??
Take good care,
Judith & family