Re: [PyrNet-L] Re:French vs US & UK Pyrs

I know I am not Joe..or Iam...but I figured I would stick my "muzzel"
out any how.. ;)...

> Joe Gentzel and all,
>
> Thanks for the show results from the French National.  I have been trying
> for years to figure out just how the outstanding Pyrs in France differ from
> outstanding Pyrs in the U.S., the UK and other countries.  For instance, do
> the French dogs really have tiny eyes and narrow heads with long, long
> muzzles?? Are Pyrs in the US really much smaller?

The French Pyrs do not (should not)have  too narrow a head...long
yes..but they are not at all that narrow.  The standard calls for a
muzzel that is equal in length to the backskull...the cranium is as wide
at it is long.
The Head should be without planes and in one peice, no stops or angels.
I do think that the french capture the heads very well....American dogs
are above them on movement IMHO....

> I would love to hear from you, Joe, Ian, and all our subscribers from Europe
> who have seen dogs in the US and in France and other countries.  Just what
> do you think are the major differences. What do you think that American
> breeders should work at, and likewise what are the strengths and weaknesses
> in Pyrs in France and other countries.
>
> The American dogs that Ihave seen are on the smaller end when compared to the french and English dogs...it seems that we American kinda go,
bigger bone and bigger head.. ;)...The french dog are taller and in my
opinion are more elegant, however I do like the solid nature of the
American dogs as well...and having Nana, who is a very nice
blend...makes me appreciate both types very well.
	The English dogs, in my opinion, are sometimes too heavy
looking.  This is no worse than the Us dogs being to small or the french
ones being to light and airey, mind you... ;)....  I do love the "power"
that the English dogs seem to have.....and I have no idea where it comes
from.. :)
	I get told alot that Nana has a Kuvas type head...however she
looks nothing like a kuvas or a kuvas head...no more than other people's
show pyr's resembe saint benards....
	The Kuvas head is very chiseled and the eyes are more round and
do not have the "expression" that the pyr posseses....

--

Adrienne Wilder  www.stc.net/~draggon/index.htm (pet portraits)
Murrayville GA

"Oh, to be loved by a dog!"