Re: [PyrNet-L] Re:French vs US & UK Pyrs

>Adrienne Wilder wrote:
>The Kuvas head is very chiseled and the eyes are more round and
> do not have the "expression" that the pyr posseses....
>
>>Susan Dunn wrote:
>I have to disagree with you on that one.  I have pyrs and my best freind
>breeds Kuvasz, and yes the eyes are similar.  But the skull is more
>narrow and more refined without a stop than the pyr.
>
>And there are some breeders in Michigan that have a more refined head on
>there Pyrs that resemble a Kuvasz.

I am no breeder but would like to share my thoughts on this.
In America The Great Pyrenees Standard says that the Pyrenees head should
have  NO apparent stop.
The word refined can mean many things, however, NO apparent stop means just
that. They should not have a head like a Newf or Saint (heavy/coarse with
apparent stop), nor should it look like a Borzoi (narrow).

When looking at  head photos of both the Kuvasz & the Pyr, it is my humble
opinion that what jumps out at you is ear set.  The Kuvasz are up high with
the tips of the ears pointing towards the face.    Again this is only my
opinion.    I think the GPCA Illustrated Standard gives a very good example
of what the Pyr head should not look like.    Consider that the standard
also does not give exact numerical measurements for head / muzzle etc.   It
states that it should be equal or proportioned (balanced),(Adrienne said it
correctly in her other post)  so if you have a short muzzled dog that
muzzle, length & width of head all being equal - with the head forming a
wedge shape - than that is correct as with the dog with a longer muzzle &
length & width being equal.  Either should have No apparent stop.    Many
people seem to have no problem understanding wedge shape but can't
understand no apparent stop?   The standard leaves a lot a room for length
variations but is real specific several  on other points.

Back to the original topic:   As Charlotte said this is a very interesting
topic - photos I have seen of the French dogs seem to be less in bone while
the pyr's from England seem to be greater in bone both being taller - in
America I think we fall somewhere in between - Again with our standard -
what is medium bone?   Borzoi's are light?   Newf.'s are big boned?
Balance is key - so if you have a dog with a broader back and is tall than
shouldn't he have more bone to be in balance?    What happened to elegant,
majestic/regal???   What's up with all this long long coat everywhere?   I
see a lot of little "tanks" (not puppies but older dogs)?

I can go on with questions - I would love some answers please!    I am
trying to learn but it seems it all depends on what region you are from!
I think I am more confused than ever!    HELP!

Thanks
Dianne
jdmigas@email.msn.com