[PyrNet-L] Patou's Liberation of the rainbow chickens

Well its been a while since I have had a Patou story worth writing
about...so here it goes.
I got the bright idea today, that the colored "easter" chickens would be
happier out side.  So I fashioned them a pen, equipped with water bowls
and a little house.  Because the birds are still fairly small, I put
some grass woven curtians around the bottom edge.  Everything was all
set.  Once or twice a chicken would get out, I would retrieve it, after
chasing it around and around the pen mind you, and put it back in.
After a few adjustments, some whire, a mat, and some bending of the pen,
the chickens were secure.
Patou on the other hand...had his own ideas about how to keep chickens.
I went inside to have something to drink, I had been hacking away at
black berry bushes and trying to get the goats to help....
I sat down, closed my eyes and listend to the hubbub of the TV, some
show about two women, I wasn't paying attention to it, just listening to
the voices and back ground noise of the show...it suddenly occured to me
that not many birds were an important part of a hotel scene and thats
when my brain registered that the chirping was not just the cry of any
type of bird but baby chickens...
I went to the sliding glass door and nearly dropped my drink.  My baby
chickens were racing all over the yard.  Patou was desperately trying to
keep them in his fence...
The pen I had made for them was torn in sevral peices...the chickens had
been liberated....
So out the door I rushed...chasing blue, pink, green, orange chickens
from one end of the yard to the next...They flew into the fencing, into
the junk pile, they were in the bushes, the swimming pool, food
bowls...I felt like I was apart of some sort of bad joke... As soon as I
would catch one another would escape...Patou tried his best to keep thme
in his fence but they refused to stay...The geese were snatching them up
and tossing them in the air...freeway (the big chicken) chased them so
badly I finaly had to give him a swift kick to keep him from pecking
them to death...Patou simply looked at me as if were my fault the stupid
things would not behave.
I went back inside and grabbed a laundry basket and began pinning the
birds down one by one and finally recaught them all and put them under
the basket.  They now sit out side the fence where Patou cannot reach
them....just incase he has the itching for a second revolution...

--

Adrienne Wilder  www.stc.net/~draggon/index.htm (pet portraits)
Murrayville GA

"Oh, to be loved by a dog!"