Re: [PyrNet-L] Re:French vs US & UK Pyrs

> << How much of a difference is it? Can you describe it with measurements
>  maybe? >>
>
> No, I have never measured.  There is a considerable difference.  Now do not
> read into this that that is the only difference, it just is immediately
> apparent difference at least to me.

OK, I understand that - is there any bloodlines in the US that have this
length? It would probably be very noticeable to me as well since the
back end is the first place I look<G>

> <<This I have seen - not in an autopsy but in the repair of a severely
> ripped one - there are muscles and tendon in there.>>
>
> You are saying that the dew claws have muscle and ligament attachments
> directly to them?  If so what function do they supply?

I have seen the muscle and ligament attachments - they are like that of
any toe. As far as function, well, that's a subject that's been up for
debate for eons, personally I have seen mine, in heavy snow, seem to use
them as a snowshoe and Dream's seems to fan out when we are climbing a
steep slope on hikes.

> <<I need an illustration on this one Joe - do you have one? I'm a very
> visual person.
> >>

> Don' t think I can draw with aol.  It is the occipital protuberance.  It is
> pronounced and triangular.  It seems to add length to the back skull, but I
> suspect it is more an indicator of a different bony confirmation.

Now I know what you mean - the "bump". You are right - it does give the
illusion of length. I think it's a leftover from the origins of the
breed.

> <<I wish more breeders here were as fanatical about pigment. I see allot
> of poor pigment up this way, especially in the all whites, including one
> of my own - she's a snow noser.
> Could some of it be a difference in climate or feed?>>
>
> I think you have to discriminate between concern and fanaticism.  Fanaticism
> will forsake all else in the face of even the most minor or even suspected
> fault in an area.  We breed the whole dog and should place all else in its
> proper order of importance.  That's what I speak.  How much use is a superbly
> pigmented dog that is horrible in the front and rear.  Its a matter of
> priorities.

I was speaking from concern - pigment seems to be one of the harder
things to breed back in once it starts to go. To me it's still a
cosmetic thing but it needs to be worked on. I don't like seeing 2 dogs
equal in quality, one with poor pigment, and the poorer pigmented dog
wins. I know of where you speak - I've seen some lovely pigment on some
really poorly structured dogs and poor pigment on some very well put
together ones.

Lisa