Re: [PyrNet-L] French vs US and UK (pyr)

<< No doubt Mary Crane did the breed and particularly the North American
 breeders a great service by her work for and interest in this breed.
 Just a question though, did USA export pyrenees back to France
 after the war ?  I have never really heard about that, or am I right
 in believing that the pyrenees we see in France today are mostly
 descended from the few dogs surviving the war. >>

Mary Crane would have helped anyone who would have approached her that was
legitimate, but North America was the benefactor as Mrs. Crane is our "Mother
of the breed".  I am aware of no dogs that went back to France from North
America.  I believe what we see in France today are the descendants of the
dogs left in the country post WW II.  We do know that some breeders kept some
things going.  I know Pontoise did and believe de Guerveur did as well.  I
know de Soum did not and believe that de Langladure did not as well.   I know
Poeymayou did keep some things going.

<<World war two is many generations of dogs ago, and I still believe
that the type difference  we  see, are more a question of a different
interpretation of the standard, of different priorities and selective
breeding for a different ideal.>>

No doubt about this, but I believe you are going to where I was leading too as
well.  Post WW II in France we have the "great teacher" helping the new and
old breeders reestablish their breeding lines.  I speak of Monsieur Bernard
Senac-Lagrange.  For example I know he, after a two year search, found the
first "stud dog" and the foundation of the Comte de Foix Kennel that is
essentially still around somewhat even though Dr. and Madame Giralt are no
longer breeding.  Also in France there are no professionals as far as
handling.  It is very amateur, so much you are shocked at time.  For example
there is a very famous dog that was won many honors whose owner does not know
how to brush or comb.  In North America the sport has become very professional
and thus competitive.  That's why the great attention to detail of grooming
and presentation.  While the dogs in England are presented extremely well that
I have seen, I think there are relative few professionals i.e. handlers.  Our
amateurs have to compete against the professionals and do so very well even
though we/they do not like it very much at times.  Gives us all an excuse when
we lose.  The point being that function has surely influence form here maybe
as much as anything.

Joe